History

The Wendelville Fire Company (WFC) was founded in 1921 with the original Incorporation papers listing 29 members. At a meeting held in August 1922, Albert Leffler promised to provide a plot of land for a fire hall as well as the fire hall itself, including furnishings and lights for meetings. The fire company served the community in all types of emergency situations and also provided a social aspect to the community with many dances, fundraisers and the annual field days. Meeting minutes show that the first piece of apparatus was purchased for $2600 with a payment of $1000 on delivery and 3 years to pay the balance.

The first officers were listed as follows:

  • Albert Zeitz – President

  • Albert Hemmerling – Vice President

  • Jacob Babel – Treasurer

  • William Klingelschmitt – Financial Secretary

  • Norman Smith – Recording Secretary

  • Albert Bayer – Chief

  • Jacob Wagner, Jacob Garff and Henry Smith – Directors

On June 13, 1936, a dedication ceremony was held for the New Wendelville Fire Hall located almost directly across the street from the original hall on what is now Old Tonawanda Creek Road. That hall was sold by the Company in the mid 2000s.

Hall 1: The next fire hall was built in 1960 at the current location of the Main Hall on the corner of Campbell Boulevard and Tonawanda Creek Road. That building was subsequently expanded in the 1970s to include a large meeting/banquet hall, a members room and offices. The Company still owns and maintains this hall today.

Hall 2: After over 40 years of service and pressure from neighboring companies to move into the fire district, a decision was made to expand services and coverage. In the late 1960s a parcel of property was purchased on Main Rd in order to build a substation. Wendelville Hall 2 was dedicated March 2, 1969. Ambulance service was also started in 1969. The Company still owns and maintains this hall today.

Hall #3: Hall #3 was refurbished from an old School House to a Fire Hall in 1971 and is located on East Canal Rd. The Company still owns and maintains this hall today.